February 5th, 2016
SCC Photography Competition 2011
Wednesday, 9th March, 2011
By Cameral Lynch
The Sports & Cultural hosted their annual photography competition on March 9th 2011 in the Top Floor Studios, St. Kevin’s College. Extending to all photography students within the CDETB, the competitions primary purpose is to promote the young (and not-so-young) rising talent in PLC Level Education today and to gauge where contemporary Irish photography is heading. With various entries from all over Dublin, the event was significant particularly for 2011’s first year students, who received their first real taste of their photographic works under the scrutiny of the public eye.
Organised by Photography tutor Martin Cregg, Media Director Carmel Lynch, and Digital Imaging tutor Maeve Robinson, students from both media and photography filled the studio for the announcement of the winners of the Black & White Traditional and Colour Digital categories.
Rathmines Senior College, Crumlin College, The Adult Education Foundation Project in Parnell Square and St. Kevin’s College were highly commended for the standard of entry.
This year the quantity and quality of entries was significantly improved and Martin Cregg & Maeve Robinson the organisers commented on how students “were taking much more care with their work and the presentation was very professional”.
Carmel Lynch told the packed studio the difficulties the adjudicators were faced with as sometimes very little separated the entries. She urged the assembly to consider it an exhibition rather than a competition and the quality of exhibits in both categories bore witness to this.
The following were “highly commended” in both categories and were presented with cash prize and certification for their portfolio by the SCC.
– Sandra Cobos Gonzalez (St Kevin’s College)
– Enrico Fuga (St. Kevin’s College)
– Orla Cahill (St. Kevin’s College)
– Danny Carter (Parnell Project)
– David Condron (St. Kevin’s College)
– Martin McGiuern (Parnell Project)
– Helen O’Reilly (St. Kevin’s College)
– Gordon Connolly (St. Kevin’s College)
– Tony Kidd (St. Kevin’s College)
– Charleyne Bardet Gossard (Rathmines)
– Theresa Moynes (St. Kevin’s College)
St. Kevin’s College which delivers a FETAC level 6 and a BTEC HND in Photography picked up all the top prizes with Noel Phelan 3rd and Lorna Collins 2nd in the colour category and Josh Whelan 3rd and Joao Magalhaes 2nd in the black and white category. However the judges were unanimous in their selection of Fergal O’Sullivan (first year photography student St. Kevin’s College) as this years overall winner in the colour category.
Noel Phelan (Photographer) captured the event for posterity and the winning entries will be on display at St. Kevin’s College Graduate Exhibition of Photography in “The Complex Gallery”, Smithfield Square – opening May 17th 6.00p.m. and running for one week.
- Gabor Molnar – ‘Pipes’ – (2nd year photography student St. Kevin’s College) was presented with 1st prize in the black and white category.
- Joao Magalhaes – ‘Lamp’ – (2nd year photography student St. Kevin’s College) was presented with 2nd prize in the black and white category.
- Mel O’Reilly – Highly commended in the B & W category – 1st Year Photography student at St Kevins College.
- Fergal O’Sullivan – ‘Paper Curls’ – 1st prize winner in the colour section.
- Lorna Collins – ‘Print Cross’ – 2nd prize winner in the colour section.
- Noel Phelan – 3rd prize winner in the colour section.
The Principal of St. Kevin’s College Mr. Blake Hodkinson presented the prizes and the Vice Principal Mr. Thomas Usher presented certification and they thanked the organising committee and Brenda Fox for “wonderful visual display that reflected the strength of the Arts in PLC Education today”.
[ Photos by Noel Phelan ]