– APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2017 –
Niall Smyth Memorial Bursary
The SCC student bursary award scheme has been in operation since 1992. Renamed the Niall Smyth Memorial Bursary in 2003 to honour the memory of Niall Smyth, a teacher in Plunket College, who died suddenly in September 2002. Niall was actively involved in many SCC activities.
The scheme is there to assist CDETB students to achieve their potential in their particular Sporting or Cultural endeavours. Approximately 20 students benefit from the Bursary each year, including:
Sport – Gaelic Games, Soccer, Futsal, Athletics, Sports for the disabled, Basketball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Badminton, Canoeing, Hockey, Kick Boxing, Cycling, Karate and Judo.
Cultural – Public Speaking, Creative Writing, Music, Drama, Dance, Art and Photography.
We are hoping that all CDETB Colleges will nominate at least one student for the award.
To be eligible to apply for a bursary, applicants are required to meet the following criteria:
1. Be a full-time student in a CDETB College / Centre.
2. Specify one activity/event for which they are seeking assistance.
3. Supply a letter from organization/club or governing body of their activity to state that they have been selected for special event/tuition/coaching/courses/workshops.
4. A teacher may apply for a bursary on behalf of a student who may find difficulty in applying. We would ask teachers in general to oversee their student’s application, in order to make the strongest possible case for them.
5. All applications have to be signed by the centre/college Principal.
Please note that normal day-to-day club expenses such as travel and equipment expenses are not covered under the terms of this grant-aid scheme. It is not a hardship fund or designed to support students’ college fees.The bursary is awarded only where a student can show that the award will assist them to achieve greater success in their chosen activity.
Bursary applicants and recipients are expected to participate in SCC events, if the opportunity arises.
Applicants can apply either on-line or by post. Applications are accepted between September and February each academic year.
The annual Niall Smyth Memorial Bursary Award ceremony is usually held in May each year. The closing date for this year is Friday 17th February 2017.
Further details can be obtained from the SCC Hon. Sec (email@example.com and 087 737 7693).
Download Application Form [ Niall_Smyth_Memorial_Bursary 2017 ] .PDF