CDETB SCC Cross Country Championships Wednesday 15th November, 2016
By Louise Browne
Athletes representing various CDETB schools competed against each other under blue skies and a strong cross wind at last week’s Sports and Cultural Council Cross Country Championships in Phoenix Park.
Stand out performances of the day saw Rhasidat Adeleke of Presentation College, Terenure dominate the junior girls 1km race from start to finish. Coláiste Eoin’s Dariusz Spik staying power was pivotal in winning the intermediate boys 2km final. While Elizabeth Manning of Presentation College, Terenure ran a controlled race to capture gold in the intermediate girls 1km decider.
Adeleke, who finished second in the 80m final of this year’s All Ireland Schools Track & Field Championships in Tullamore, ran an excellent race crossing the line ahead of Jessica Ziu of Larkin Community College and Adeleke’s school colleague Meadhbh Corcoran.
Coláiste Eoin’s quartet of Spik, Michele Rossi, Kieran Collins and Darren Byrne broke free from the main bunch of runners in the opening lap in the 2km intermediate final.
Midway through the final lap Spik and Rossi opened up a gap between themselves and Collins and Byrne. With the finish line in sight Spik upped the pace to cross the line ahead of Rossi, Collins won the battle with Byrne for third place down the final stretch.
Manning of Presentation College, Terenure never looked in danger of being caught, after breaking away just after the halfway point, from the leading group of six runners in the intermediate girls final.
As Manning crossed the line five runners battled it out for silver and bronze with Marino College’s Catalina Urso coming home second ahead of Latifah Adeleke of Presentation College, Terenure.
A large number of athletes competed in the boys junior 1km with Ringsend College’s Nathan Purcell and Dylan Kelch and Coláiste Eoin’s Lee Duddy pulling away from the main group of runners midway through the final. Purcell held the lead in the final metres to win gold with Duddy securing silver ahead of Kelch in a highly competitive finish between the breakaway trio in the boys junior final.
It was double delight for Kylemore College as Jacqueline Gorman and Cillian Gleeson won gold medals in the girls and boys minor 1km competitions. Gorman was pushed all the way to the line by Clonturk Community College’s duo of Holly Peters (silver) and Ally O’Neill (bronze).
In the boys race Gleeson and Coláiste Dhuláigh’s Josh Adamson had battled it out from the front throughout the 1km course. With the finish line in sight Larkin Community College’s Emmanuel Canga brushed pass Adamson to win silver, Adamson held out to win a deserved bronze medal.
Inchicore College dominated the winning prodium in the senior girls 2km race. Courtney Walsh’s strong finish saw her take gold ahead of her colleagues Kellie McLoughlin (silver) and Anna Marie Kennedy (bronze) in a close run encounter.
Lee Byrne of Crumlin College ran a super three lap race to win the senior boys 3km final. The Rathfarnham Athletic Club member had comfortablity led from the outset to ease over the line ahead of Coláiste Eoin’s Francesco Madan and Evin Walsh of Coláiste Dhuláigh.
Cross Country Individual Results
Minor Girls Final
1. Jacqueline Gorman – Kylemore College
2. Holly Peters – Clonturk Community College
3. Ally O’Neill – Clonturk Community College
Minor Boys Final
1. Cillian Gleeson – Kylemore College
2. Emmanuel Canga – Larkin Community College
3. Josh Adamson – Coláiste Dhuláigh
Junior Girls Final
1. Rhasidat Adeleke – Presentation College, Terenure
2. Jessica Ziu – Larkin Community College
3. Meadhbh Corcoran – Presentation College, Terenure
Junior Boys Final
1. Nathan Purcell – Ringsend College
2. Lee Duddy – Coláiste Eoin
3. Dylan Kelch – Ringsend College
Intermediate Girls Final
1. Elizabeth Manning – Presentation College, Terenure
2. Catalina Urso – Marino College
3. Latifah Adeleke – Presentation College, Terenure.
Intermediate Boys Final
1. Dariusz Spik – Coláiste Eoin
2. Michele Rossi – Coláiste Eoin
3. Kieran Collins – Coláiste Eoin
Senior Girls Final
1.Courtney Walsh – Inchicore College
2. Kellie McLoughlin – Inchicore College
3. Ruth Barry – Inchicore College
Senior Boys Final
1. Lee Byrne – Crumlin College
2. Francesco Madan – Coláiste Eoin
3. Evin Walsh – Coláiste Dhuláigh